Landlords, Property Owner & Property Management Companies:
As you may know, Rhode Island has many laws in place to protect families and tenants from exposure to lead paint hazards.
As a Landlord, you are required to take the 3 hour course titled " Lead Hazard Awareness Seminar". This course is very helpful to you and provide you with information to assist in the prevention of lead poisoning. The course will teach you how to properly touch up damaged areas, the rules and regulations governing these repairs and how to clean and prepare your units for a lead inspection, which is required, by law, for any unit being rented, when the property is not owner occupied.
Where are lead hazards typically found?
- Painted surface on the interior and exterior of buildings and structures.
- In homes built prior to 1978.
- On window sills, window wells, sashes and floors where old, double hung wooden windows are in use.
- On the painted surfaces of windows and doors that are rubbing or binding .
- In soil around the exterior of a home or building.
- In painted toys, old painted furniture and stained glass windows.
Lead poisoning can occur :
- When storing liquid or food in lead crystal, lead based porcelain or lead based pottery.
- If you work with lead, dust can be carried into the home on clothing, hair, footware & tools.
- It can be inhaled during soldering. sanding, scrapping or heating of lead based paint or metals.
- From exterior dust resting on window sill or in window wells.
- When contaminated soil is tracked into the home on shoes.
The effects of lead poison in Children are:
- Nervous system and kidney damage
- Learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorder, decreased intelligence
- Speech, language and behavioral problems
- Poor muscle coordination
- Decreased muscle and bone growth
- Hearing damage
The effects of lead poison in adults are:
- Increase chance of illness during pregnancy
- Harm to a fetus, including brain damage or death
- Fertility problems
- High blood pressure
- Digestive problems
- Nerve disorders
- Memory and concentration problems
- Muscle and joint pain